- If I delete a file and sync, can I recover the deleted file?
- Is there a deadline (e.g. only within 90 days)? Or will they keep it forever?
- If I made changes to the file and synced, can I access prior
- Is there a limit to how many versions I can access (either number of revisions or number of days)?
- Does everything I backup need to be under one directory? (Mostly useless if “yes”)
- Can I select a directory and have it back up everything under it automatically? (i.e. if I create a new directory or file under it, will it get synced in the future?)
- Can I select a directory and sync everything under it except certain folders/files? (I don’t want to back up certain temporary directories, but I still want it to pick up other new directories/files)
- If I deleted a file/directory and later used the cloud service to restore it, will it restore it in the original location?
- If I deleted a directory that had a whole hierarchy under it, can I restore the directory and its contents and maintain the tree structure?
- If I deleted a directory that had a whole hierarchy under it, can I restore the a single file that was deep inside?
- If I have different files called abc.txt throughout my hard drive, and I deleted a bunch of them, will I be able to restore the correct one(s)?
- If you have the same (large) file in multiple directories, will it back all of them individually, or does it support deduplication?
- If only the permissions or time stamps of a file have changed, will it back up the whole file all over again?
- Are the files stored encrypted, and does the company have a way to
get around the encryption, or can only you encrypt it?
- While maintaining all the other features (deduplication, versioning, etc)?
- Can I select a file/directory and share it with a random person on the Internet?
I am surprised at how often I encounter tech folks who have not asked a significant number of these questions. Many (most?) of the well known cloud services fare poorly. SpiderOak checks most of the boxes above.